Now this is where things started to go wrong…
Now that I have a boat, the pressure is off the family on choosing Birthday and Christmas presents for the foreseeable future… My beautiful blue grey green-eyed girl (ie the wife), gave me two excellent gadgets to help the winter refurb: First of all, for my birthday, a Makita Sander/Polisher. Here it is:
Great tool: can’t fault it. Unfortunately, I also didn’t have a clue how to use it. I have now learned three things:
1) You need to spend a lot longer on the sanding stage than I did on the port side;
2) You need to wield the Makita much more gently than I did on the starboard side;
3) You need to spend even longer on the sanding stage than I did on the starboard side.
Otherwise you’ll end up with the same result that I did:
On the Port side, a rough, uneven painted surface – which didn’t really become apparent until I had put the primer coats on. Basically, very thin residual layers of primer/undercoat, which seem pretty invisible against the bare wood, show up a lot more clearly than you would imaging when the wood has been re-painted.
On the Starboard side, having seen the error of my ways on the port topsides, I resolved to do things properly, and so spent about double the time sanding than I had done before, taking care to get all the residual undercoat off.
Result: a nice smooth hull, other than the numerous small circular gauge marks the circular sander seems to have left in the wood. Aaaargghh!…
In retrospect, I should have taken it much more slowly, and been more gentle with the sander, with finer sandpaper.
Well, you live and learn, and there is no way I have the time to start again now, so I’ll just have to do the best I can this year and tackle it next year.
The one upside: at least I’ll know what to do next year!